This is my personal website and blog. I am writing this blog while musing about and exploring computers, free/libre and open source software, society, photography, and music … usually time-wise far behind current events.
Munich, Europe, Earth
In case of any inquiry please drop me a mail.
About me – Curriculum Vitae
I am a kind of computer scientist.
- Studies at Technical University of Munich (DE), Tampere University of Technology (FI), and University of Leipzig (DE)
- Diploma, a traditional German master degree, in computer science with specialization in clinical information management
- 20+ years professional work experience with focus on health information technology
- Previously employed by small and medium enterprise, university hospital, public research institution, and a multinational conglomerate health information technology (HIT).
- Multi-discipline background:
- Requirements engineering
- Interoperability & standardization (IHE, HL7, DICOM)
- Medical coding & billing (ICD, OPS, CPT)
- User experience and interaction design
- Open source compliance and governance
- SCRUM (certified Product Owner)
- Program management
- Project management
- Regulatory compliance
- Scientific publishing
- Familiar with most higher programming, mark-up and scripting languages though I would not call myself a code wizard
- Special interest in
- Free software / open source principles in respect to software, data, and knowledge
- Privacy and security
- Computer and society
- Sustainability and social justice
- Founder and coordinator of Medfloss.org
- Professional writings: see publications
You have an exciting job opening? Please contact me. I am looking forward to get in touch and provide more details.
To send me a mail – solely regarding this website or my person (no advertising or other spam) – use the mailbox first name dot last name either at this domain or posteo.net.
To send me OpenPGP encrypted mails use the mailbox „private“ at this domain. The key is available via the common key servers. My fingerprint is D0C2 5BB8 73D1 E58C DDF2 5945 3B73 5265 9C9E 2E0D.
You could also send me a direct message via Twitter.
A brief overview shall be given within this paragraph about what data that is processed by the website. For details please refer to the official privacy statement that is available in German only: Datenschutzerklärung.
This blog is hosted at Uberspace. The webserver’s access_log does not store the last digit of the visitor’s IP address. The error_log is deactivated by default.
License & Copyright
My own work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Work linked or embedded on my website is naturally licensed under its original license. I assume that the hosting website and the responsible person who uploaded the work re-assured that no copyright is infringed. If you still discover work of your own that is served by apfelkraut.org without your permission or infringing your copyright license, I would appreciate your urgent notice (see contact).
Why the hell „apfelkraut“?
Actually „apfelkraut“ was the first alias I used on the Internet. It was during those times when I connected with my analog modem via a self-soldered 20 meter cable, laid through nearly the entire house of my parents to the telephone socket. When I opened my first email account, I was quite suspicious of what might happen if I use my real name in this yet unknown world. So due to a lack of creativity I just chose „apfelkraut“. On my desk I used to have an empty box of Apfelkraut where all my pencils were stored. Somehow this word sounded cool to me and I was also sure that nobody else would already have opened an account with that username. Meanwhile I became fond of this alias and as my thought about the unpopularity of this term happily also applies to domain names, this one became apfelkraut. Sorry, no fanboy.